Digital transformation. Digital business. Digital technology. Digital disruption. No matter how you refer to it, the digital revolution is here. Nine out of 10 C-suite respondents from our research say their company is fully embracing digital transformation. But what does digital transformation truly mean? And where are organizations in their transformation journey? More importantly, what are they trying to achieve?

Customers at the epicenter

Digital business has obliterated established industry lines and ways of doing business, opening the door to new players from nontraditional sectors of the market. Their prize? The customer. Our research reveals that 72% of organizations are focused on improving customer experience through their digital transformation efforts. And with good reason:

of customers say the experience a company provides is as important as its products and services.

State of the Connected Customer, Salesforce, 2019

Customers define the journey

Customer expectations have never been higher. Customers demand personalized experiences in every interaction with a company’s products and services. Organizations must iterate and innovate quicker and better than ever before. Technologies such as cloud computing, IoT and AI are enabling the innovation that will deliver value to the customer. Executives feel pressure to transform the business in order to position themselves to take advantage of new opportunities.

Digital transformation has become an ambiguous, catchall term that encompasses a whole host of technology and business initiatives—from modernization, to cloud migrations, to digital platforms, digital transformation is seemingly everywhere. In the big picture, digital transformation refers to the process of using digital technologies to create new—or enhance existing—business processes, culture and customer experiences to meet changing business and market requirements.

DX Outlined Logo

While nearly all organizations realize embracing digital technologies is imperative to moving their business forward, everyone is at different phases in their transformation journey. In fact, almost half (47%) report their organization is maturing and advancing digital transformation plans across the enterprise. The other half (53%) are adopting gradually in silos or still evaluating their ability to digitally transform.

technology decision-makers aren’t satisfied with their organization’s current reaction to digital trends.

Survey on the State of Digital Transformation, TEKsystems, 2020

While digital transformation offers a promise of new business models, improved customer experience and, ultimately, higher financial performance, it doesn’t simply mean taking the latest technology off the shelf and calling yourself “digital”. Successfully transforming to a digital organization and, more importantly, creating sustainable value includes holistic business modernization, adapting processes and ways of working, cultivating a new cultural mindset and reimagining workforce models. An endeavor that is complex, costly and time-consuming.

of C-suite respondents believe digital technologies could fundamentally change the way people work in their organization.

Survey on the State of Digital Transformation, TEKsystems, 2020

To decode digital transformation and provide a roadmap for achieving digital success, we surveyed technology and business decision-makers across three focus areas:

  • What is the scope and maturity of digital transformation efforts?
  • How can organizations navigate the challenges and complexities?
  • How can organizations deliver value at scale?

DX Outlined Logo

Drawing a Difference in Digital: Leaders VS. Laggards

We then analyzed digital leaders versus digital laggards to highlight opportunities and achievement gaps so your company can navigate your own digital evolution. In this report, digital leaders are defined as companies with a mature digital transformation plan where digital processes and mindsets are ingrained in the DNA of the organization. Digital laggards are defined as companies with tentative plans and limited digital transformation initiatives and investments in place.

Our research explores what digital leaders are doing to transform their business and innovate while delivering on the outcomes that create value for their customers. We’ll explore how organizations are leveraging technology to achieve digital business and provide recommendations that will lead to digital transformation success.